Flocon Operator (Learn on the Job)
The Northern Midlands is one of the largest and most diverse municipalities in Tasmania. We serve the community with honesty, integrity and pride to deliver the highest quality services to our community. For more information about our Vision, Values and Mission visit www.nmc.tas.gov.au.
About the role
We are seeking an experienced driver or civil machinery operator who is committed to learning how to operate the Flocon machinery to a high standard. The role will also require the candidate to be involved in the preparation of the site and hand-asphalting tasks. Once trained, the primary tasks will be to:
- Maintain and seal the road network and seal pavements to a high standard;
- Plan, prepare, and undertake asphalting operations in safe, timely, and effective manner;
- Undertake works including patching holes, edges, pavement failures and general road reinstatement;
- Reinstate footpaths and driveway entrances;
- Gravel shouldering of sealed road to prevent edge breakages; and
- Manual repairs to gravel roads
Asphalting operations is very physical work that requires exposure to heat, vibration, dust, and odours. Applicants must be physically fit to undertake this work.
As part of the broader works team operations you may be required to undertake additional civil construction tasks to assist from time to time, including driving medium rigid vehicles, and you may be required to undertake training to operate additional plant and machinery and assist in other areas of the civil maintenance programs.
You will be a self-motivated team player who has a good work ethic and good time management. In addition, you will have good communication skills and a commitment to ensuring the safety and welfare of those around you. To be successful in this role, you will have:
- Demonstrated experience learning new skills and processes;
- An interest in Asphalting principles and operations;
- Current White Card;
- Medium Rigid (or higher) Heavy Vehicle Licence;
- Experience with minor mechanical maintenance and repairs on plant and equipment;
- Experience working unsupervised;
- Experience leading small teams;
- Demonstrated ability to deliver high quality detailed work outcomes;
- Proven ability to interpret and follow a works plan;
- Physically fit to meet the requirements of the role and able to lift up to 16kgs unaided from a standing position, and able to remain seated for long periods of time; and
- The willingness to undergo a pre-employment medical (including drug and alcohol testing) to determine your physical fitness to perform the role.
Additional competencies to operate various civil construction plant and machinery will be looked upon favourably.
Our Culture and Benefits
We offer a positive and high-performing team to support and assist you in the role. We have a genuine commitment to ongoing learning and development, providing opportunities to diversify and grow, and we have a genuine concern for your health, safety and wellbeing. We are an equal opportunity employer committed to an equitable, diverse and socially inclusive workplace.
Terms and conditions of employment, including salary will be negotiated with the successful applicant and in accordance with the Northern Midlands Council Enterprise Agreement. Other benefits include an ADO once a fortnight, 13.0% superannuation, health and well-being initiatives, discounted gym and pool membership and learning and development opportunities.
For more details about the role visit www.seek.com.au/job and apply directly via that website. Applications received via alternate methods will not be considered.
Your application should include a current resume and a cover letter outlining your skills and experience which demonstrates your ability to meet the essential requirements of the role as outlined in the “About You” section above.
This role will be advertised for a minimum period of 2 weeks. Review of applications will begin after 2 weeks and reviews will continue as applications are received until the position is filled. Council may proceed with interviews at any stage during the process. This role will close once a suitable candidate has been selected. Applicants are encouraged to submit applications promptly.
The Northern Midlands Council is an equal opportunity employer and we encourage all applicants to apply, regardless of gender, race, colour, nationality, age, religion or disability.