Contact Us (03) 6397 7303


To contact the Planning Department:
Phone: (03) 6397 7303 or email


The Enquiry Service of the Tasmanian Government's PlanBuild Tasmania allows an address to be entered to see what planning zones and codes apply to a property. A Property Report can be generated which includes maps, details of the planning zone, codes and other information that affect the selected property.

Council Officers are available for phone and face to face enquiries to discuss building and planning matters at the following times:

  • Monday – between 9:00am and 12:00pm

  • Wednesday – between 2:00pm and 5:00pm

  • Friday – between 9:00am and 12:00pm

Meetings can be arranged otherwise by appointment.



The Tasmanian Planning Scheme - Northern Midlands (the planning scheme) applies to the Northern Midlands Council local government area.

The planning scheme consists of written text, zone maps and overlay maps.

Each piece of land has a zone, such as residential, business, industrial, recreation or open space (shown by a colour on zone maps) that defines what use and development may be undertaken.

Some pieces of land are also subject to overlays (shown by hatching or colours on the overlay maps) and further code requirements (found in the planning scheme text).

You can find the zone of land and any applicable overlays at PlanBuild

The meaning of ‘use’ and ‘development’

The terms ‘use’ and ‘development’ have particular meanings in the planning system. ‘Use’ is defined to include ‘the manner of utilising land but does not include the undertaking of development’. For example, proposing to use an existing house as a doctor’s surgery may not require any buildings or work, but it is a change to how the land was used before, and therefore a planning permit might be needed to make the change. ‘Development’ is defined as including:

(a) the construction, exterior alteration or exterior decoration of a building; and

(b) the demolition or removal of a building or works; and

(c) the construction or carrying out of works; and

(d) the subdivision or consolidation of land, including buildings or airspace; and

(e) the placing or relocation of a building or works on land; and

(f) the construction or putting up for display of signs or hoardings.

When you require a planning permit

To find out whether you need a planning permit for a particular use or development you should contact council’s Development Services Department with the following information:

  • Street address or title details of the property in question;
  • Details of your proposed use;
  • Details of any proposed development (size of building, distances from boundaries).

If you are going to buy or lease a property, it is recommended that you make sure it can be used for what you want it for prior to purchase/lease. It can’t be assumed, for example, that a property can be used for a particular business just because there is already a business there. It also can’t be assumed that a planning permit application is not required simply because there are no building works proposed. You may need to get other approvals in addition to planning permit approval, such as building or plumbing approval.


Footpath Trading

If you are a business and require a Footpath Trading License, the application form can be found here.

For further information or to speak to someone about the requirements please call Council on (03) 6397 7303.

Visitor Accommodation

To view the Visitor Accommodation, Use in Existing Buildings - Standard Application Package please click here.

Heritage Listed Properties

Having a heritage listed property means that any modifications need to be thoroughly assessed to make sure that the heritage characteristics of the property or area are retained.

Northern Midlands Council planning scheme listing

Planning approval is usually needed for use or development of a property that is:

  • Heritage listed in the planning scheme or
  • In a heritage precinct in the planning scheme maps

The Council’s Local Heritage Adviser

The Northern Midlands Council employs a Heritage Adviser to provide advice regarding works, fence styles, or colour schemes considered necessary to ensure a proposal is consistent with the heritage character of the property and/or streetscape.

Council’s Heritage Adviser, David Denman can be contacted, with the address of the property and details of the proposal, at:

  • email:
  • ph: 03 6334 4899
  • 7/59 William Street
  • Launceston Tasmania 7250

There is no cost for the consultation and advice, however if you wish to engage Mr Denman to draw plans for your proposal, that would be at your own cost.

Tasmanian Heritage Register

A property might be listed on the Tasmanian Heritage Register. Heritage Tasmania provides information on how you can find out if a property is listed on the Tasmanian Heritage Register.

If a property is on the Tasmanian Heritage Register, it is protected under the Historic Cultural Heritage Act 1995. To determine requirements under that Act you should contact Heritage Tasmania

Planning Forms

Planning Forms are available here.

Tasmanian Planning Scheme

Tasmanian Planning Scheme

The Tasmanian Planning Scheme - Northern Midlands is made up of two components:

  1. The State Planning Provisions; and
  2. The Local Provisions Schedule.

The State Planning Provisions set out the way the planning scheme operates, the zones that can be applied to land and the planning provisions that apply to use and development occurring within those zones. They also include controls within the codes, relating to matters that occur across various zones. Council cannot vary these provisions but can choose where the zones and codes apply.

The Local Provisions Schedules indicate how the State Planning Provisions (zones and codes) apply in the Northern Midlands municipal area.

The Local Provisions Schedules also contain local area objectives and any planning controls for unique places specific to the Northern Midlands. These unique areas are in the form of particular purpose zones, specific area plans, and site-specific qualifications.

The Tasmanian Planning Commission has approved the Northern Midlands Local Provisions Schedule in accordance with section 35L of the Land Use Planning and Approvals Act 1993.

The Northern Midlands Local Provisions Schedule as part of the Tasmanian Planning Scheme came into effect on 9 November 2022.

The Northern Midlands Local Provisions Schedule is available on the Tasmanian Planning Commission’s website:

In accordance with section 51 of the Land Use Planning and Approvals Act, applications lodged from 12 October 2022 are assessed against the Tasmanian Planning Scheme – Northern Midlands.

Applications that were valid before 12 October 2022 continue to be assessed against the Northern Midlands Interim Planning Scheme 2013.

Stormwater System Flood and Risk Study

In order to meet the requirements of the Urban Drainage Act 2013 Council has had produced Stormwater System Flood & Risk Studies of all urban areas in the municipality, and an overarching Stormwater System Management Plan (SSMP).

The SSMP references the flood and risk studies for each town and provides recommendations on stormwater management throughout the municipality. A map showing Council’s piped stormwater system and areas where overland water flow or ponding greater than 20mm deep has been modelled to occur during the 10% AEP storm (1 in 10-year storm event) can be accessed here

Please note that all information shown including pipe locations areas where overland flow or ponding is modelled to occur, is indicative only and planning decisions should not be made based on this information.

Mapping Notes:

The polygons shown are those that have been identified as being potentially subject to flooding in an uncalibrated model during the 1% AEP (1 in 100 year) storm. The displayed results are primary for urban areas, other areas are not included. Riverine flooding, e.g. from the South Esk, Macquarie, Elizabeth and St Paul’s Rivers and Sheepwash Creek is also not included.

The flooding shown is indicative only. For more specific depth and risk information please contact Council. In preparing the modelling surveys, analysis, designs, plans were relied upon and may not be correct.