Contact Us (03) 6397 7303

Environmental Health / Food Premises

Council's Environmental Health Officer can assist with general enquiries relating to food licensing.

Food Premises Registration

Food Registration Information

The intent of the Food Act 2003 is to ensure safe food is sold to the public by licensed food businesses which involves Council conducting an annual random inspection of these premises to ensure food is being safely prepared, cooked and stored in accordance with the Food Act 2003 and the Food Standards Codes.

In Tasmania, food businesses are assigned a food risk rating / category.

A higher risk food category are charged a higher annual fee than a lower risk food category and is inspected more often. From the information provided in your application, the Environmental Health Officer will advise you the risk category and the fee that applies.

Generally there are two types of food licences in Tasmania and they are as follows:

  • Fixed (address) premise; and
  • Mobile food business ie. it moves around for example a mobile food truck, trailer or market stall.

For a mobile food business, only one food licence is required for use throughout Tasmania.

Please apply at the Council where you reside or where your vehicle is usually garaged.

An annual fee applies from the 1 July yearly.

Fees and Charges - Northern Midlands Council ( then click on "Health"

Food Safety Training

DoFoodSafely is a free, non-accredited, online learning program provided by the Department of Health Victoria and proudly supported by Queensland Health, South Australia Health and Tasmania Health.

DoFoodSafely is designed to enable you to understand how to safely work with, and handle, food in commercial settings and can be accessed here.

Food Poisoning

What should I do if I become ill?

If you or someone under your care becomes ill, it is important to seek early medical attention. Tell your doctor if you think your illness is related to food you have eaten.

Your doctor will assess your illness and may do tests to determine the cause. The results of the tests may be sent to the Department of Health and Human Services. The Department will then contact the Local Council to conduct an investigation to determine the cause where appropriate.

Remember that your foodborne illness may not have been caused by the last meal you ate -symptoms can take hours or even days to appear. You should consider all foods consumed within at least three days of becoming ill. Also, other (non-food) sources can cause vomiting and diarrhoea, such as exposure to contaminated water while swimming, contact with animals and person-to person spread.

The Department and local councils will investigate complaints about:

  • foodborne illness
  • foreign objects (e.g. insects, glass, rocks,
  • metal, plastic) or other contaminants in food
  • poor food handling practices
  • unsuitable or unsafe ingredients
  • incorrect labelling (e.g. allergen information, use by dates).

We will not:

  • act on your behalf for reimbursement of food costs, compensation or for damages – instead contact the food business directly or seek legal advice
  • investigate complaints on poor customer service – direct these to the food business or Tasmania’s Consumer Affairs and Fair Trading on 1300 65 44 99

Under the Public Health Act 1997, Division 1 – Notifiable disease and notifiable contaminants.

The Public Health Act requires that certain medical conditions be notified to the Director of Public Health (DPH). This includes diseases and conditions which should be notified to the Communicable Disease Prevention Unit (CDPU) by laboratories.

Laboratories are required to notify a positive result for the specified infectious diseases and conditions. Notification allows for public health action to manage these conditions and to control the spread of diseases.

For further information please see the Department of Health website