Senior ICT Officer
Northern Midlands Council is seeking applications from a degree qualified and experienced person to join the team as an ICT Officer, based in Longford. The position will be offered on a full-time basis, working 37.5 hours per week, with hours arranged for an RDO each month.
The Northern Midlands is one of the largest and most diverse municipalities in Tasmania. We serve the community with honesty, integrity and pride to deliver the highest quality services to our community. For more information about our Vision, Values and Mission visit www.nmc.tas.gov.au.
About the role
This role will see the successful candidate take on a broad range of responsibilities to manage and optimise our ICT systems and infrastructure across 5 sites and mobile fleet vehicles. As the senior ICT officer on site you will be working as an all-rounder across all of our ICT Infrastructure and ICT Systems supported by our Trainee IT Officer as a Level 1 support, and by our 3rd party managed support provider who are available for high level technical assistance and advice.
Key responsibilities include:
- Maintain and administer the Council’s ICT infrastructure to ensure its optimal performance and stability, reliability, and security by applying high level technical expertise
- Manage the installation, configuration, and maintenance of hardware, software, and network devices, including leading the planning and implementation of IT projects and upgrades
- Monitor system performance, troubleshoot issues, and implement necessary upgrades or enhancements to improve efficiency
- Supervise and mentor the Trainee IT Officer to provide high-quality day-to-day ICT Support for end users
- Monitor, identify and analyse potential cyber threats and other security risks
- Provide excellent customer service by applying effective organisational skills and interpersonal skills with an ability to troubleshoot, advise, negotiate and work collaboratively with others
- Support Council’s Continuous Improvement focus by providing advice and suggestions on ICT solutions that can improve business operations
- Manage ICT expenditure within a set budget, and actively engage in annual budget planning processes for planned expenditure and projects
- Providing Geographical Information System (GIS) support, development, training and advice to internal and external customers, specifically maintaining linking of property databases to the Corporate GIS and integrate GIS into other Corporate systems
- Project management of upgrades of Enterprise Management Systems
This role is based in Longford and requires full time on-site attendance, as well as occasional requirement to be on-call at key operational times such as during Council meetings.
You are an experienced all-rounder who has experience and knowledge across a broad range of ICT fields including IT service management, business application support, Microsoft 365 administration, project management, people management and cyber security. If it plugs into a wall – you will probably be able to fix it, or you will be able to apply your exceptional problem solving skills to figure it out.
You will be resourceful when it comes to finding information and solutions to complex problems, and you are highly motivated to get things done in a timely manner. You will have a patient and empathetic approach to dealing with your internal customers, and you are good at communicating with people with varying level of ICT knowledge.
Our ideal applicant will:
- Hold a recognised Bachelors Degree in Information Technology, ICT Systems Engineering, or related field, or equivalent professional experience
- Have experience in a minimum Level 2 Support role, preferably having worked for multiple organisations throughout your career
- Have sound working knowledge of a broad range of ICT principles including an understanding of different computer systems, networks, and technologies, enterprise systems and good knowledge of internet security and data privacy principles
- Have demonstrated ability to diagnose and troubleshoot issues in a Microsoft environment quickly and efficiently
- Have a current driver’s licence
- Have well-developed verbal and written communication skills that facilitate efficient customer service, maintenance of system documentation, and technical reports for management including strategic ICT advice. Your cover letter, of no more than 1000 words, should address how you meet these criteria. Your letter should demonstrate your written communication skills and will be considered as part of the selection process.
Experience with mentoring and supporting less experienced staff will be highly advantageous.
The successful applicants will be subject to a pre-employment medical and will be required to provide a national police check.
Our Culture and Benefits
We offer a positive and high-performing team to support and assist you in the role. We have a genuine commitment to ongoing learning and development, providing opportunities to diversify and grow, and we have a genuine concern for your health, safety and wellbeing. We are an equal opportunity employer committed to an equitable, diverse and socially inclusive workplace.
Terms and conditions of employment, including salary will be negotiated with the successful applicant and in accordance with the Northern Midlands Council Enterprise Agreement. Other benefits include 13.0% superannuation, health and well-being initiatives, discounted gym and pool membership and learning and development opportunities.
For more details about the role visit www.seek.com.au/job/71389347 and apply directly via that website. Your application must include a current resume and a cover letter addressing the criteria outlined in the “About You” section above.
All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
Authorised by Des Jennings, General Manager