Executive Assistant & Governance Officer
The Northern Midlands is one of the largest and most diverse municipalities in Tasmania. We serve the community with honesty, integrity and pride to deliver the highest quality services to our community. For more information about our Vision, Values and Mission visit www.nmc.tas.gov.au.
About the role
This newly created role is seeking a mature professional to provide high level administrative support to the General Manager and the Executive Management Team to ensure the timely communication of responses to information requests from the Council, external agencies, and the general public. This is a varied role that will see the successful candidate utilising their exceptional research and communication skills to support the Council to respond to a broad and varied range of political and community issues.
Key responsibilities of the role are:
- Preparation of correspondence, reports, and briefing papers to ensure an effective flow of information between Council and Councillors, committees, residents and other third parties
- Manage the workflow of information requests to ensure that all requests are completed in a timely and professional manner
- Undertake research and gathering of information in preparation for responses to complex reports and projects
- Contribute to the preparation of required documentation for Council meetings and Council workshops within required timeframes
- Prepare briefs for external legal advice on complex matters and drafting legal documentation
- Research and draft responses to the Right to Information requests
- Prepare responses to enquiries from the Ombudsman and other external agencies
- Assisting with a range of governance matters including compliance with the legislative requirements of the Local Government Act 1993
- Liaise with external legal counsel and advisors to provide high level advice to the General Manager regarding information requests, and other related matters
- Assist the Executive Officer in managing various executive and administrative matters such as legal contracts and agreements, leases, community committees, delegations, and other general legal matters
- Update and maintain relevant record management systems and registers to meet statutory reporting and policy requirements
- Supporting the Governance Team by assisting with general governance responsibilities and undertaking governance projects as required
You will be a self-motivated professional who shows initiative, can multi-task, and has good time management skills. You will be driven by your need to communicate accurately and concisely and be task-motivated by nature.
This ability to communicate effectively will be demonstrated in your cover letter for this role, no longer than 2 pages, addressing the following selection criteria:
- Experience in providing high-quality administrative support, ideally within a legal or public sector environment
- Previous experience providing advice in a complex, confidential and sensitive environment
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal, that you have demonstrated in a similar working capacity dealing with external stakeholders
- Substantial knowledge and ability to interpret and apply legislation and statutes
- Ability to work autonomously under pressure and able to manage competing deadlines with limited direction
- Preferably at least 3 years experience in a similar public sector role
- Previous experience in responding to Right to Information requests would be advantageous
The quality of your cover letter will be considered as part of the recruitment process as a demonstration of your accurate and concise written communication ability. Candidates are encouraged to submit these as PDF documents to retain intended formatting.
Our Culture and Benefits
We offer a positive and high-performing team to support and assist you in the role. We have a genuine commitment to ongoing learning and development, providing opportunities to diversify and grow, and we have a genuine concern for your health, safety and wellbeing. We are an equal opportunity employer committed to an equitable, diverse and socially inclusive workplace.
Terms and conditions of employment, including salary will be negotiated with the successful applicant and in accordance with the Northern Midlands Council Enterprise Agreement. Other benefits include 13.0% superannuation, health and well-being initiatives, discounted gym and pool membership and learning and development opportunities.
For more details about the role visit www.seek.com.au/job/69569391 and apply directly via that website. Your application must include a current resume and a cover letter addressing the selection criteria outlined above.
All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
Acting General Manager