Northern Midlands Council is seeking a qualified accountant to join the finance team. This role will support the finance team, and broader Corporate Services team by providing ongoing accounting and finance support, including preparation of financial reports and month end processing, and provided timely and accurate reports and analysis to support high level decision making. The position will be offered on a full-time basis at our office in Longford, Tasmania. This position is not available on a working-from-home basis.
The Northern Midlands is one of the largest and most diverse municipalities in Tasmania. We serve the community with honesty, integrity and pride to deliver the highest quality services to our community. For more information about our Vision, Values and Mission visit www.nmc.tas.gov.au.
About the role
Reporting to the Corporate Services Manager, and with the support of the Senior Accountant, you will be responsible for:
• Undertake general accounting operations based on accounting principles that will assist with the day-to-day operations of the department, including month-end and year-end processes
• Support the Senior Accountant in preparing estimates, budgets and financial forecasts
• Ensure financial statements are prepared in accordance with statutory and accounting principles i.e. profit and loss statements and balance sheet
• Formulate, develop and produce periodic financial management reports
• Audit financial transactions and document accounting control procedures
• Supervise the Municipal Asset Management procedures
• support the Council business and decision making processes with quality analysis of data to produce information and reports
You will be a self-motivated professional, who shows initiative, can problem solve and has good time management skills. In addition, you will also have excellent verbal and written communication skills and a passion for delivering quality outcomes.
Selection criteria for this role are:
• Tertiary qualifications or Advanced Diploma in accounting is essential. Applicants without this qualification will not be considered.
• Previous accounting experience in a medium to large size business (over 100 employees)
• Extensive knowledge of accounting and organisational financial principles and procedures, including contemporary knowledge of the accounting standards and current applicable legislation
• a demonstrated passion for problem solving and a commitment to delivering exceptional customer service to the finance team and other internal stakeholders
• Ability to communicate effectively, both written and verbal, to various levels of management and staff within the organisation
• Membership of, or eligibility to join CPA Australia or the Institute of Public Accountants or the Institute of Chartered Accountants Australia will be looked upon favourably
• Previous experience in Local Government will be looked upon favourably.
For more details about the role, including information regarding remuneration, culture and benefits, visit http://www.seek.com.au/job/615... and apply directly via that website.
Your application should include a current resume and a letter addressing the selection criteria outlined above. Applications close on 21 March 2023 and all enquiries will be treated in the strictest confidence.