Campbell Town Hall Report
Posted on July 09, 2021
The Northern Midlands Council at its meeting of 28 June 2021 agreed to release the attached report prepared by Watershed Solutions regarding the future of the Campbell Town Hall.
The brief specified the following work to be completed:
- Evaluation of the Campbell Town Town Hall to identify possible usage and opportunities for the building.
- The scope of the consultancy includes a recommendation as to the future of the hall.
The report summary states the hall is a valuable community asset, however since the opening of the town’s new Multi-Purpose complex, the hall has been under-utilised.
A range of possible future usages for the hall were identified including as an agritourism centre, regional arts centre, heritage museum and/or business hub.
As well as the sale of the building to enable a private operator to develop the asset into the future, a number of other future management options were proposed including a community management body independent of Council.
The report highlights a number of issues that need to be addressed if the hall is to play a sustainable role in the area’s economic future. These include the need for capital investment to refurbish/redevelop the facility, and identifying a viable commercial/community use for the hall that generates sufficient income to meet ongoing costs.
Council has accepted the report and will take into consideration the following matters in any future decisions regarding the hall:
- The need to minimise the duplication of Council owned assets in the town
- The commercial opportunities associated with selling the hall
- The return on investment of the hall
- The impact of the sale of the hall on the current tenants
For further information, please contact Mayor Mary Knowles OAM on 0408 766 625.